Magalawa Island: The Paradise of Cool Waters

My friends from a previous office have gone to Magalawa in 2010 and I have been dying to go there since I saw the pictures of the place.

A dispute on its land ownership is widely discussed online but it boils down to having two caretakers for the island. On one side, the Armadas. On the other side, Mang Mulo.

In 2010, my friends stayed in Mang Mulo's side of the island. My friends did say their stay was a lot of fun and very inexpensive. The caretakers were very generous and fun-loving so their stay was real hassle-free.

Unfortunately, on the weekend of our trip, Mang Mulo's side of the island was closed for business. Apparently, some VIPs were staying on their side of the island and they cannot accommodate visitors. 

I wasn't sure if it was more because of the incessant hunger to hang out in isolated virgin beaches or if it was the NEED to see and hold live starfishies but I really just had to go. So we decided to give the Armada side of the island a try. 

There are two options on how to get there by bus. One option is to take a direct bus from Caloocan Victory Liner to Santa Cruz, Zambales. The second option would be to take a bus to Olongapo and then get  a bus going to Santa Cruz from there. Both ways, one is to pay fare of about P450 to Radyo Veritas Road, Palauig.

From Radio Veritas Road, you can take a 75-peso 30-minute dirt road tricycle ride going to where the boats are. 

My friends had Saturday off, so they took the trip Saturday morning. And I went solo on a Sunday morning. The trip is very long, yet very easy. No haggling, nothing complicated. You just need to go to the bus terminal, ride the correct bus, know where to go down and secure your things.

Usually, on trips to beaches in Zambales, like Anawangin, Capones, Camara, Nagsasa and Potipot, the splurge is in the boat ride. Potipot's boat ride which will last about 10 minutes will cost P400. This is not true for Magalawa.

The boat men said the boat ride to Magalawa when you're going solo is P250. Grace Armada, from the Armada Resort, told me over the phone in a previous conversation that the boat ride was P100 per person for a minimum of five people.

Now, for those trying to get a heads up on what's going to happen, I'm not saying we're all of the same level of luck but I've got this little story.

I rode the boat with two other travelers and got off the Armada's side of the island. The boatman had no interest in getting payment from me, said "Ok na, Ok na.", pointed me towards the small resort restaurant and proceeded to talk to the island caretakers. In a matter of minutes, he was gone. 

I guess Mr Boatman wanted me to be a literally happy camper



I found my friends on the beach under the shade of a few trees on what I will soon find out to be my favorite thing about Magalawa.

I expected the water to be real warm considering that the sun seemed to have been playing a rude game called "Evaporate" for about a week then.

Surprisingly, the water was just the right temperature. Should I say, amidst the rage of the sun, Magalawa waters kept its cool.

In the late evening, most beaches would sport ice-cold water but not Magalawa.

Of all beach waters I've encountered, I like Magalawa's best.





On one side of the island, we found the starfishes lying on the sand by the shore.


To be honest, I have no idea how to handle starfishes. I just intended to see one. I didn't even think they'll be alive.

We had nothing much to do with the star-fishies but take pictures and turn them upside down but I really loved their company.

And like kids, we stayed with the starfishies until we grew hungry and had to head back to camp.



We set up a fire and cooked our own food.

Apparently, the Armadas charge for everything.

Camping at the Armada grounds cost P300 a night and P100 for the succeeding nights. The highest environmental/entrance/island fee I have encountered so far.

We bought about six tomatoes, an onion, garlic and a sachet of soy sauce from the Armada store and one lady wanted to charge us P70. I was OK with paying it until my brains grew back after the other guy who was left at the counter said that that was too much and opted to charge us P30 instead. (Thanks, Kuya!!!)


After lunch, one of the Kuyas at the Armada resort, sold us sea urchins at P10. I had no idea what that tasted like and thought everyone might want a try. We bought 20 pieces and Kuya left a whole pail of sea urchins by our campsite.

He taught us how to hold, crack, remove the dirt and eat 'em sea urchins. But although I like holding and playing with the pointed thing, it just wasn't a culinary delight for me.

We left for Magalawa just a few minutes before noon and headed for Manila under the scorching heat of the summer sun. It was a real long ride and I got home too tired to look at the clock but I was definite in the thought that Magalawa's waters is one that I would return for.

I'll be sure to stay under the shade of Mang Mulo's trees next time :)







Comments

Popular Posts