The Avengers

One of the challenges of watching a mainstream movie that's part of a sequel is that you seem to be given the unwritten and unsaid assignment of watching all other movies that are connected to the movie including, but not limited to, the movies that are prequels of the current and movies that are about, or involve, every one of the characters in the movie.

Scary as it was, without the rich history of Marvel comics or the aide of all of the movies that are about (or involve) the characters of Thor, Hulk, Black Widow and Hawkeye, I bravely stepped inside the movie house but not without fear of wasting my 200-peso online ticket.

Amazingly, although most parts of the movie bored the hell out of me, probably because of the wanting appreciation due to my obliviousness toward its history, the movie proved to be worth the amount of a one-way trip to a Batangas beach.


I watched The Avengers with a "friend" who provided no distraction to the movie and about an hour and a half in, I was half asleep from trying to get all the words into my 10pm brain. 

There was a sure hell of a lot of dialog and too much poetry getting thrown from one character to another, scene after scene that I was confused whether I was watching a movie or if a book was being read to me. 

It was definitely getting boring but having a group of superheroes to watch was a delight of course. 

At one point, I needed to focus and ensure that I choose the best superhero to pattern my daily life with. Heck, everyone wants to be a superhero and it's too hard to be original, why not just be a copycat of a Marvel character?


It was a shame that Toby McGuire, er, Spiderman, wasn't included in the movie. I would really want to see how he would work with the team, but well, I guess, he needed to insist on a raise. Best way to show that he can't work with the team, eh?

Captain America, all clean in white and blue, all righteous, all knowledgeable, all noble, all mature... All the heavenly whites of his character gives me the "come into the light" blankness. So boring. Characters with no flaws are just so damned boring.

Thor, who I met for the first time in this movie, cannot be my superhero of choice because I am no demi-God at birth. I just became a demi-God.

Black Widow and Hawkeye were much too simple. They are both skilled but I wanted a superhero.

Now, Ironman seemed very appealing. The looks, the intellect, the wealth, the confidence and, yes, the arrogance. For some reason, some website said he was my counterpart. And I wish he was!


But somehow, I wanted to be The Hulk. I just wanted to be all by myself, all strong and without regard for what other people may think of me aside from fear. But I knew this kind of psychology is unrealistic.

Towards the end of the movie, I stopped thinking about shit like this and started watching as the fight scenes and the humor grew more interesting. That last 30-minutes made the movie worth bearing through the first one and a half hour.

After the movie, I still have not decided which superhero to pattern myself with. Stepping out of the movie house, I knew it was too late to decide. I guess, I can't be a superhero.

So maybe, I'll just be a hero... Or maybe, I'll just be super :)


Comments

Popular Posts