Gushing over "The Other Woman"

I cannot remember the last time I saw a good dramatic movie. Most movies I see now are feel-good chick flicks that have good-looking actors reciting witty lines. Watching The Other Woman definitely made my afternoon very amusing.

For me, the characteristic of a good drama is that it is in the subtle, non-crying scenes, that you cry the most. It is in those scenes where the characters fight back the tears that you will realize how much the audience is moved by them, and how much the audience is rooting for them.

Because in those scenes, you will see that, as hard as the characters try to fight the tears and be strong, the audience are willing to shed the tears for them.

"Isabel is not dead because you needed to be punished."
"Why is she dead?"

In this scene, I found the acting very powerful. Read the dialogue and you will not see how much of a tearjerker the scene could get. Look at the photo and you may see part of it, but you won't see just how colossal the emotions are.

But watch the scene, and listen to the actors and you'll definitely feel that it is unnerving.

You'll find out that, that simple question will weaken your knees.


It is refreshing to see a familiar face and I smiled when I saw her. I knew her only as Phoebe Buffay because I don't care much about celebrities so I don't usually look up their names; I care more about the characters they play.

But her character is a radical change from who I've known her to be. She still says, "U-huh" in the same tone but everything else about her is different. She was absolutely convincing.

In this scene, she played it just right. The tenderness and firmness of her tone, the rise and fall of her voice, the pauses, the speed, the silence... I cried before Natalie Portman's character winced.

I thought she knew how to read lines in Friends, but now.... I know she's Lisa Kudrow.

The story is disturbing yet realistic.

There are a number of conflicts entering and exiting at a speed that prepares you to face the next conflict yet leaves you weak.

The musical score is a piano playing in the background, sometimes a sad song and, most effectively, silence mixed with emotions.

The lines say "100% secure in her conclusion" instead of "100% sure."

There are no special effects, there are no stunts, no fight scenes, no burning cars, no costumes... Nothing but drama and talent.




So if you haven't yet, watch it.






+ I love movies again. 






Comments

Popular Posts