Million Dollar Baby

I love old movies. Old actors. Old scripts.

The musical score is simple yet touching. Tears ready to fall on the next stroke of the piano.

Old movies seem to be very psychologically packed. Characters are not linear and shallow. Character background is part of the plot that allows viewers to understand why things happen or why the characters act a certain way.

It's a live psychology book.

I'd like this watched by a nice guy from the office who very nicely implied that I had a bad childhood and laughed about it because he thought it was a funny joke.

What tragedy it is for me to have tried to live my life in the best way that I think I possibly could  and yet still be ridiculed for the misfortunes that I can in no way be responsible for?

If I became a thief, that would be my fault because I wasn't diligent. If I killed people, that would be my fault because I did not learn patience. If I suck at my job, that would be my fault because I did not try harder to do better.

But I'm not a thief, not a killer and, no, I don't suck at my job. And yet I get laughed at because I had a bad childhood.

To Nice Guy's defense though, I do not think he wanted to offend me. I think he just thought it's really funny.

That is why I appreciate movies like this. Movies that touch into things that are more depressing than a bad haircut.

Of course, the sheltered individuals may not relate much to the tragedies but, at least, they are, not without doubt, but somehow given light about the conflicts that are in a deeper level than anything they have experienced in their lives.

Million Dollar Baby rationalizes matters that are conventionally unaccepted; like mercy killing. It shows how complex things can have reasons beyond textbook.

It shows how crass language or rude behavior is not how you distinguish a good man and a bad man.

It shows how not all stories end with a happy ending and instead ends the way it should.


Comments

Popular Posts