Why photography?

Repost from http://angasatbp.multiply.com/journal Apr 28, '10 4:51 PM

During our Puerto Galera trip, Eric kept on saying how he was wondering why a lot of people are into photography nowadays.

I wanted to answer but I didn't really want to talk since my throat was killing me and, with the quality of my voice last weekend,  there was no way I can tell people anything without having to repeat myself.

So, here's my answer right here. :)

First up, photography is an art. It's not as difficult as painting or making a sculpture; it's pretty much as simple as capturing an art, maybe an object, a person, or the beauty the world has.

The art of the one taking the photo lies in her or his framing, composition, lighting and other technicalities. Yet, after all the complexities that may be involved in coming up with that amazing photo, photography is simple.

The talent that the one behind the camera needs is simply knowing what is beautiful. That's why it's funny how some people try to make it exclusive. 

In my opinion, photographers don't need to try to make photography nor the title exclusive. 

If one is not good at it, that person will never be branded a photographer and their activity will never be seen as photography - no matter what camera they hold.

Besides, in this age of digital photography, there's no stopping the rise of the common picture-taker. This time around, photography is no longer for the rich. Anyone can get a digital camera. The lower middle class family will cease to have pictureless events.

Digital photography also made way for more people to consider the art because one gets the results of their creative juices in a snap - thanks to our never-fading love for instant gratification.

On a personal note, I am enthusiastic about photography because it allows me to have my personal time with the world.

For me, photography gives us the time to look around and see how beautiful the world is; whether it be the environment, ironic scenes or the smiles of the people you most care for.

I am unsure if it is a common conception, but photography for me is a time for silence. It is me-time; a time when I wish to be alone with my thoughts. It is the time I spend trying to compose a scene that someone else may see in a different light; it is my way of allowing someone to see the world from my perspective.

And that is why I'm into photography, because in this fast-paced life, photography allows me to have time for myself and the world any time I wish.

Comments

Popular Posts