Coron, I'm coming back :)


Coron, Palawan

I had a fun time in Coron so it would be kind of awkward to say that I believe I have not seen the best of Coron - but it is true.

The tour was fine. It was a fast-paced view of what is in Coron for the group that I have been accustomed to call Coron Party of Eight. (CPo8.)

A day of checking out what's on land or close to land: Mt Tapyas and Maquinit Hot Spring and a day of a mad dash towards the clear waters of Kayangan Lake, Banol Beach, Twin Lagoon and the Twin Peaks Reef.

Mt Tapyas


700+ steps
I advice everyone planning to go up Mt Tapyas to incorporate bananas to their diets and to do a little cardio every other day.

Climbing up the 700 steps towards the summit of Mt Tapyas is no joke. Climbing up and going down 700 steps of Mt Tapyas for fat little me is definitely serious business.

I have long crossed out mountaineering from my list of activities.

My last climb was of Talim Apo in March of 2009 of which I have a few photos of and have a recollection of the sunburn but not of the climb. Too fuckin' drunk.

Anyway, we braved and survived Mt Tapyas and its 700 steps - all skinny and fat eight of us.


My last climb was of Talim Apo
http://angasatbp.multiply.com/photos/album/8/Talim_Apo_Climb#


The much coveted cross



peace 
We went to the Maquinit Hot Springs after our Mt Tapyas adventure. The warm water from the hot spring did wonders to our aching calves and feet. It was so relaxing I wanted to sleep in the water.

I have no photos of the Maquinit Hot Springs because it was already dark when we got there and, for some reason, I was really very lazy in taking pictures.

All I wanted to do was sleep, lounge around and swim. But we didn't seem to have enough time to do any of those and just thinking about the schedule tires me out.

I am a freak. Give me a schedule and I'll cope with it. Get me a vacation and I'll enjoy. Give me a schedule on a vacation and I'll cope and enjoy - and get tired from trying to do both.

Day 2 spelled WATER. We were off to test our swimming and wading abilities.

First stop was the Kayangan Lake.

There was a quick briefing by a local that I felt added warmth to the trip, like we were being welcomed by a host to their home.

It was also great to hear from a local that they strive to protect their place. This way, tourists and travelers are reminded that the place is not for anyone to exploit, destroy, mess up or rob from.

We were told that, in Coron, travel is not limitless. There are certain places treated sacred that are to be untouched because of giant sea creatures and such.

We may or may not believe in these giant sea creatures but I am delighted at the dignified stand of their people to demand respect for their beliefs and culture whether we believe in it or not.


The second day was hectic. Four places, one day. Too fuckin' hectic. Like "I want to stay here but no we have to go" hectic.

Kayangan had enough time though. We swam into a cave and took some pictures - thanks to the couple who were with us on the tour who were brave enough to let the guide handle a non-waterproof camera with no protection but the guide and his life jacket.

I'd say Kuya Guide has balls the size of a ship for having enough guts to do that.

We left Kayangan Lake long after I've lost interest in swimming outside the cave because we were just there basking in the sun, wading like lost puppies and I was too scared to remove my life vest. Read: Being a coward will get you nowhere.

We jumped to Banol Beach to have lunch.

I was surprised that there was no shrimp. Must've been a problem of some sort at the market. I couldn't tell for sure.

I wasn't at the market because I went back to the hotel to get my goggles which I later found out were left in Manila. (Yes, stupid, stupid.)

I made a mental note to buy shrimps, squids and lobsters on my next trip in an attempt for a seafood lunch.

We had lunch of fish, crabs and liempo.

Yes, liempo. I was surprised that our crazy team bought liempo. I think somebody must've suggested balance or something. Anyhow, I didn't touch it. I was decided on seafood lunch so I ate one whole fish.

We were allowed some time to swim at Banol Beach but the place was very panoramic that we were inclined to take photos first. 

The sun was fierce but the view was great. There were a lot of interesting stones, the water was clear, the sand was fine, and there was even a little shade. 

It was unfortunate though that by the time we have had enough of taking photos and were ready to lounge around, we had to leave to snorkel near the ship wreck. 

Now, that's snorkeling and fish versus lounging around by the shore. It was like saying goodbye to a lover you have not had enough of so that you can be with someone whose got abs. 

It made breathing pretty hard.




But the abs, er, the fish, were fast in making me forget about the ex, or I mean, lounging around by the shore.

We had bread to attract the fish. And attracted, they were.

I was not wearing contact lenses under water because I forgot my goggles yet the image of the fish was very clear because of the clear water and their proximity to my eyes.

When I got tired of saying "fish" while wearing the snorkel mask, I got out of the water to gather strength. Before I was ready to jump back into the water though, it was already time to bounce.

One deep breath and we were at the Twin Lagoon.

We were led to swim under a bridge of what I call 'almost stalactites.' Instead of rock formations pointing downwards, the rock growth was stifled by shells.

Beyond the bridge, enclosed by the rock formations, the warm and cold water was having a love affair. It felt great to be in the middle.

We spent about 30 minutes getting in the middle of the lovemaking of warm and cold water before we had to leave for the next snorkeling location.

I have no photos of the Twin Lagoon because Buchoi (my camera) had no interest in swimming or the risk of deep sea diving.


We moved and, out of the blue and in the middle of nowhere, we were on the second snorkeling site. There weren't a lot of fish but there were also less people.

Actually, we were alone at the snorkeling site so I had the guts to remove the life vest and swim. If I were to have cramps and drown, there would be less people who will be witness to the most fortunate event.

We had time to lounge around before sundown.

After the tour, we went to a souvenir shop. I usually buy souvenir from local markets because souvenir shops tend to jack up the prices of goods but we didn't seem to have much choice since our guide pointed us to that direction. At that point, I was too tired to ask twice.

The day was overly tiring. As proof to that, I was too tired to eat. Yes, TOO TIRED TO EAT. That's about the most tired I could ever get.

We drank a few beers before retiring for the night and knew that that trip was not going to be the first and the last time we'll see Coron.

Now, I'm saying, I haven't seen the best and I got really tired, but it doesn't mean I didn't enjoy my stay.

Til I see you again, Coron :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts