Roxas City 2012: A Night at the Seafood Capital


My flight landed January 14, 2012 at the domestic airport in Roxas City before going to Kalibo for the Ati-atihan and was back in Roxas City by January 18 for the flight out of Panay the next day.

On the night of the 18th, I was welcomed by the comforts of the San Antonio Beach Resort.

At P880, San Antonio Beach Resort can offer you a small air-conditioned room with a bathroom, a double bed with 'holy white' sheets and a small cable TV.

I was in the Seafood Capital of the Philippines so although I was extremely sleepy and the San Antonio bed was inviting me for a night's rest, I decided to proceed to the Baybay beach lined with seafood restaurants.

My meal which consist of three medium sized squids, four pieces of talaba, one rice and a small softdrink cost me only a few pesos over a hundred. About the same rate as a lunch in a carinderia in Manila, except that this included fresh seafood.

On the morning of the 19th, I went out around six to take photos of the beach which was just across the street from the resort.

Baybay beach, unlike most of the beaches that I have visited in the Visayas, had gray sand. Throughout the morning, I only saw a few local kids swimming in its water.

I went back to San Antonio for the resort's complimentary breakfast buffet of hotdogs, omelet, corned beef, sauteed vegetables, dried fish and rice.

The resort also has a pool filled to about four feet - perfect for just lounging around and can work for a little practice swimming too.

After breakfast and a few hours of swimming, I decided to take photos of the old buildings near the townhall.
A tricycle driver charged me P30 for a ride that I later found out from the vendors near the town hall cost P10.

The biggest hassle of my Roxas City stay was the never-ending haggle for the tricycle fare. In Roxas City, tricycle drivers are predators and tourists are their prey. They will charge you P70 for a twenty-peso ride from the airport.

Worse, tricycle drivers in Roxas City REFUSE to charge the right amount. In Manila, even the worst tricycle driver I have encountered will let you pay the right amount when you know the right fare. In Roxas City, they will not let you ride if you refuse to be overcharged.

Arriving just a few minutes before 9 in the evening on the 18th of January, I was "welcomed" by a tricycle driver who wanted to charge P100 for a ride from the Ceres terminal to San Antonio Beach Resort. Because I have previously asked the bus conductor about the fare from the terminal to Brgy Baybay where San Antonio Beach Resort is located, I told the tricycle driver that I will only pay P50. The tricycle driver said he will settle for P60.

Jesus! It was nine in the evening and I haven't had dinner yet. This tricycle driver took my bag from the bus conductor without my permission and carried it to his tricycle and he is REFUSING to not overcharge me.

Later, I found out that the tricycle ride was worth P20.

These tricycle drivers make Roxas City not so tourist-friendly.





With its fresh seafood, picture-perfect old buildings, inexpensive accommodations, I'd say Roxas City was worth a one-day visit.

Comments

  1. when i went there wala pa ako camera... not one picture of the place... hehe
    ganda din namn yon simbahan nila

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah. natuwa ako dun sa adoration chapel. :> add ako pics in a few days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts