Bagasbas Beach Surfing after Typhoon Lando

So, I went to Camarines Norte on my birthday for my friend's wedding. I planned to tag along with a few other wedding guests who were also planning to go to Calaguas the next day.


The wedding went well amidst the weather (and the coordinator who must've had a typhoon messing up his head.) Indoors, my friend was a very beautiful bride with her dashing groom. Outside, the typhoon was wrecking havock in Luzon.

My friends who were locals of Vinzons said a trip to Calaguas from Manaoagan the next day, the 18th, was a no-go. The boatmen won't allow it.

I stayed at Bagasbas on the night of the 18th, surfed on the morning of the 19th and decided to try Calaguas from Paracale. So I stuffed my things inside my bag, did a quick sweep and headed for the front desk to check out.



That's the advantage of travelling alone. You can decide you wanna do something out of the blue and stuff your things inside your bag without a need to discuss or convince or be judged as a disorganized prick without a lifepath - or without a need to comfort anyone when the coastguard doesn't allow a trip from Paracale to Calaguas.



I must admit, I was sort of sad - not disappointed - just a wee bit sad, that I can't push through with the Calaguas trip due to bad weather. I expected it - I just wanted to take the slim chance.

I was content in walking around Paracale for a bit and experiencing the bus ride from Daet to Paracale and back.



The next option is either to go back to Manila or stay at Bagasbas. So, of course, I chose Bagasbas. And I'm glad I did.

Let me tell you something about Bagasbas. Bagasbas is simple.






It doesn't have the upscale hotels and bars. There's the Bagasbas Light House that has its own pool and restaurant that features acoustic bands on Sundays and that's it.



The other accommodations here are quite small and simple - White Wave and Surfer's Dine Inn and some others on the far left of the shore.

You can either get a fan room at Surfer's Dine Inn for P500, a kubo (still a fan room) in White Wave for P750 or go for a backpacker's accommodation at the Lighthouse for P550.



I went for the Bagasbas Lighthouse backpacker's rate of P550 which would allow you a fan room with 21-inch TV, access to the pool, discounted surfboard rates, a short walk to the in-house restaurant: Catherine's and a possibility of a backpacker roommate. There was no other backpacker that day though - same as the two days I spent at Bagasbas Lighthouse a few years back: I had the room to myself.




I forgot how peaceful Bagasbas is at 6 o'clock in the morning - when the world of Bagasbas changes from darkness to light.

It's gradual yet quick and it makes me feel  a certain kind of hope.



Walking Bagasbas is a common theme in the morning. You'll see couples, senior citizens, kids and dogs walking by the shore.

The sound of the waves is soothing and is like the world whispering: "Good Morning" to anyone who would stop and listen.

Around this time of the year, there are only a few people roaming Bagasbas - night or day, tourist or locals. And although the beachfront is lined with little dark videoke bars, there is a comfortable silence to the surroundings that make it feel safe.


I met Mariano, the kid surfer who Atom Araullo interviewed back in the 5andUp days. Mariano was 10 then and was an amateur surfer. He's 23 now, competes in neighboring towns, teaches swimming for first aiders, has served as a lifeguard in Bagasbas and teaches surfers who competes on amateur surfing competitions. Bagasbas Lighthouse contacts him to assist checked-in surfers and beginners like me. 

I'd recommend him anytime. He's a breath of fresh air. Funny dude. Loads of fun. 

We got the surfboard from Hangloose and got JV, the surfer storekeeper, to take photos. He did an awesome job using my SONY TX20.




Comments

Popular Posts